Temecula Police Accident/CHP Collision Report: How to File and Get a Copy

Temecula Police Accident Report

Share this article!

An accident report is a valuable piece of evidence after a vehicle collision. California requires motorists to report to law enforcement any car accident that involves injury or death. When you call 911 at the accident scene, the responding authorities will either be local police, sheriff, or California Highway Patrol (CHP). They’ll be making the accident report, after which you can request a copy of your own.

The very first step in obtaining your accident report is finding out which law enforcers responded to your accident. While at the scene, make sure to note their name and area office or department.

How to Get a Copy of CHP Collision Report

CHP Collision Report

CHP area offices respond to accidents on highways, freeways, unincorporated county roadways, and state-owned facilities. If the CHP responded to your crash, here’s how to retrieve a copy of their accident report.

Request by mail

  1. Call the particular CHP office to verify that your report is ready and to ask about applicable fees. The Temecula CHP’s phone number is (951) 506-2000. 
  2. Print out the “CHP 190 – Collision Request Form.” It is available as a PDF from the CHP website (here).
  3. Complete the form. You’ll need to provide details such as crash date and location, your name and address, and which “party of interest” you were (driver, passenger, etc.).
  4. Attach a photocopy of your state ID or driver license. If you do not provide these documents, you’ll need to have your signature notarized on the form.​​
    Enclose also a check payable to the specific CHP area office to pay for the fees.
  5. Mail all these papers to the CHP area office. In Temecula, their address is:
    Temecula Highway Patrol
    27685 Commerce Center Drive
    Temecula, CA 92590.

Request in person

You may personally visit the CHP office and fill out your CHP 190 form there. Fees also apply.

How to Get a Copy of Murrieta/Temecula Police Accident Report

Get Copy of Temecula Police Accident Report

If your vehicle crash occurred on a city street in Southwest Riverside County – which includes Temecula and Murrieta – the Murrieta Police Department likely has the accident report. Here’s how to obtain a copy of your crash report from Murrieta PD:

Request online

  1. Go to the LexisNexis BuyCrash page (here) and fill out the search form. You’ll need to provide your state, responding agency, and one or more of these:
    • The report number
    • Your name and the accident date
    • Your name and the accident street.
  2. Click “Search”. Your report will come up but you’ll have to buy it to access it.
  3. To buy a copy of the report, click “Add to Cart.” This will take you to a sign-up/sign-in page. Fill out the form and click “Continue.”
  4. After signing up or signing in, you can then go to your shopping cart page and checkout your report using your credit card.
  5. Once the purchase goes through, you’ll be able to download the report onto your computer on the spot.

Request in person

  1. Go to the Murrieta Police Department at 2 Town Square, Murrieta, CA 92562.
  2. Ask for a request form and present your valid ID. Fill out the form and submit it to the records personnel.
  3. You’ll have to wait up to 10 working days for the records personnel to process your request. Once it’s ready, they’ll notify you by phone and you can pick it up from the station.

How Much Does an Accident Report Cost?

This depends on which office you are requesting it from.

  • A CHP area office may charge $10 for a collision report up to 25 pages or $40 for up to 100 pages. If you wish to include any available photos in the report, you’ll need to pay for a CD at $5 each.
  • The Murrieta Police Department charges $18 for each police accident report.

Fees are subject to change without notice.

If you need help obtaining an accident report or any evidence in your personal injury claim, reach out to one of our trusted car accident attorneys.

Call a Temecula Personal Injury Lawyer Today

To competently handle your personal injury claim in the Temecula area, call the experienced attorneys at Zucker Personal Injury & Accident Lawyers, APC. We have obtained maximum settlements for many Californians over the years. Consult with us for free. Call (951) 699-2100 today or send us a message through our online form.

The accident lawyers at Zucker Personal Injury & Accident Lawyers, APC in Temecula offer legal services exclusively in the areas of personal injury and wrongful death.

Temecula Police Accident Report
Zucker Personal Injury & Accident Lawyers, APC - Temecula Injury Attorneys and Accident Lawyers
Fill out this form for a FREE, immediate Case Evaluation.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Our Clients are Everything